Friday, May 2, 2008

Manners

I am not Miss Manners. I am not that great at acting like a lady most of the time. I am loud and sometimes even obnoxious. But I think there are some simple manners, niceties, if you will, that many people are lacking. Here are today's lessons in manners, or what I like to call, "being a decent human being."

1. Elevator Etiquitte: When waiting for an elevator it is most polite to allow the people who are already on the elevator to exit. There is no need for you to shove or rush or assume that you are somehow more important than the people waiting to exit the elevator. In fact, you should probably take the stairs.

2. Smiling: When someone smiles at you, smile back. This one is very simple and it keeps you from looking like a jerk. This is also why I am cranky and writing this blog today. Twice on my way to work I smiled at people and they stared blankly at me, or past me. One of these was a new neighbor, who not only didn't smile but then stared at me for about five minutes while I got loaded into my car. A smile only takes a second, and you don't even have to mean it :)

3. Walking: A difficult concept for some. Please keep to the right. Please do not play chicken, especially when someone has their arms full and are dragging more crap behind them. Move over. Please keep to the right. When confronted with a "head on" step to the right. There is no need for the "I'll go the way you go" dance.

If we all just follow these few simple rules, we will have a nicer, less stressful day. I hope you have a great day!


Coming up in the next manners blog: Driving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha- i love this!
sometimes people are just so in their little "me bubbles" that they don't even see things going on around them!