"The Package"
Do you remember that episode of Seinfeld, when Elaine can't get any proper medical care because she's "difficult?"
Elaine : (while looking at her chart) Difficult?
Doctor : Elaine, You shouldn't be reading that. So tell me about this rash of yours.
Elaine : Well it's, it's.....You know I noticed that somebody wrote in my chart that I was difficult in January of 92 and I have to tell you that I remember that appointment exactly. You see this nurse asked me to put a gown on but it was a mole on my shoulder and I specifically wore a tank top so I wouldn't have to put a gown on. You know there made of paper.
Doctor : Well that was a long time ago. How about if I just erase it. Now about that rash......
Elaine : But it was in pen. You fake erased.
Doctor : All right Miss Benes. This doesn't look to serious. You'll be fine.
Even after trying to find a new doctor, her chart and her reputation follow her. This is the same case with Darla. The poor Darface was in for a check up to secure a "Certificate of Health" in order to travel in to Mexico this summer. While the doctor was reviewing the chart she made a small comment about the notes about Darla's personality.
Here are a few:
"Sweet but scared"
"Doesn't like men"
"Does better with a muzzle"
All I could think about was this Seinfeld episode and how that chart and that reputation will follow Darbaby for her entire life. And really for the good of the medical professionals she'll come into contact with.
Elaine : I was looking at my chart and it said I was difficult. Why would they write that?
Jerry : They have gotten to know you.
It turns out most everything can be related back to a Seinfeld episode.
No comments:
Post a Comment