We have a young mother dove who likes to nest atop our fuse box. It's high enough and well shaded but one strong gust of wind and the nest is no more. Last year she lost her babies before they had hatched. This year her babies were hatchlings when the nest fell to the ground. Luckily they both survived and she carried on her mommy duties on the ground. I have become obsessed with the survival of these little babies and was so worried about them that I even had B on baby bird watch. Which was good, because he was the one who saved the momma from the clenches of Darla's jaw. B then cut out the bottom of an old plastic planter, weighted it with dirt and placed it back on top of the fuse box. He then placed the nesting materials and the babies in. It turns out that "handling baby birds scares off the mother" thing is just a myth. Momma bird came right back and has been enjoying her "hand" crafted nest. The babies should be ready to fly the coop quite soon.
We also have a toad living in the garden. I'm worried a bit for his life as it is much too soon for toads to emerge. The days are too hot and dry. I am hoping that as long as he stays in my garden (which is shaded and watered twice a day) that he will do alright. I want to lure him in with a toad abode:

Haha, how cute is that. They even make a few with solar powered night lights to attract late night snacks. Of course B thinks this all very ridiculous. I think, if nothing else, it's a cute garden decoration.
2 comments:
A Baby Bird Update: The afternoon I posted this my little baby doves left the nest. There flying around my yard now. I'm so proud, but feeling a bit of empty nest syndrom.
hahaha empty nest syndrome!!!
Post a Comment