Monday, February 18, 2008

The Myspace Blogs

Can it get any better than this?

As everybody surely knows, 2007 was pretty much the best year ever (minus a few bumps along the way)! I turned 25, traveled to Belize, recieved a raise and best of all I GOT MARRIED!!! And for a moment, I thought there was no way I could ever have a better year, but 2008 is really pushing to take first place. Honestly, nothing is going to beat my wedding, but here are just a few of the things 2008 has to offer:
1. My 26th birthday! (mmm, apricot beer, mmm)
2. Our one year anniversary!
3. WE ARE BUYING A HOUSE!!!!
4. Hopefully, I will graduate in December (fingers crossed)!
5. President Bush will step down as the President of the United States! And to top it off, we could see a Woman or an African American president (again, fingers crossed)!!!

So, cheers to 2008! I am ready for yet another adventure!!!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Happy Thanksgiving

So, I am looking forward to eating my last Turkey today. I suspect that it will be delicious! Even though I know it will be very difficult, like giving up any addiction, I am very happy with my decision. I feel it is important to my health - both physical and spirtual. Things I will miss the most:

Camerones Ajo in Puerto Penasco
Hamachi at Sushi Cho
Philly Cheese Steak at Frankie's
Anything at Texas Roadhouse
Meatloaf
Pho w/ beef balls at Miss Saigon
Linda's Menudo
Ham, cream cheese and pickle rolls
Turkey Burgers
Brandon's roast
Fish Chowda
Chicken Noodle Soup
The list goes on, but I think I may have drooled on myself so I'll stop.

...On to what is really important today: Thanks giving. I just wanted to take a minute to reflect on the past year and how amazing it has been.
I am thankful for an amazing husband who is my best friend, my shoulder to cry on and my partner in crime. I am thankful for an amazing and beautiful wedding that I don't think could have been anymore perfect. And a honeymoon that was so much fun. I'm thankful for spending the holidays this year as husband and wife for the first time.
I am thankful for our families who have come through for us time and time again. We are very blessed to have so much love and strength and laughter in our lives. We know that without our families our lives would be a lot more difficult and not nearly as fun! I am thankful for our mothers who have made us who we are. We are lucky to know such strong women who have always provided for us and believed in us.
I am thankful that I have such wonderful, talented, beautiful, supportive friends. It has been a difficult year when it comes to friends - a lot of people's true colors showed through. I am thankful that I know now who my real friends are. And they are amazing. I'm thankful for martini sipping ladies, vegan bowling champs, bridesmaids, Barrio brew drinking, beerfest loving, beauty making women. I am thankful for sister-in-laws, friends in far away places, friends who work down the hall and live up the street, friends I have known forever and those I am just getting to know. I am thankful for everything each one of my friend's has to offer.
I am thankful for good health. I am thankful that my Aunt Cathy is on the road to recovery and that she has found a man, who became a hero in my eyes, to help her when she needs it. I am thankful that I am making healthier decisions in my life and so is Brandon. I am so thankful that our familes and friends and even pets are having a pretty good year.
I am thankful that we had Kitty in our lives. I am so crushed that we lost Kitty this year. But I am so thankful that I got to spend so much time with her and that she was a very happy kitty. I am thankful that Brandon spoiled her.
I am thankful for this wonderful life. Everyday I wake up and feel blessed. I feel so lucky to have so much and to know that there is still so much more to come.

I am also thankful for:
Homebrewed beer
Laughter
Kitties and doggies (specifically Armanda, Mo, Chuck Norris and Kylde)
Tofu lo mein and asian food in general
Myspace
2 weeks off at Christmas
Being approved for a home loan
Getting to go to school for pennies
Learning and making a difference
Bush's term to be nearing its end
Travel
Freedom that is free
Artists
I know there's more, but I gotta go help my mom cook big bird!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Here goes...

1. Fear has led to several of my healthy habits recently. Even though I dislike having an anxiety disorder, I appreciate the changes it has helped me to make in my life.
2. I generally consider myself to be an independent person, but I have a hard time doing anything by myself.
3. I obsessively bite, clip, pick, file at my fingernails, and therefore have none.
4. I am a momma's girl - we live next door to each other, we work in the same building and we do our grocery shopping together.
5. I want to go to Quaker church, but I am afraid to go by myself, so I don't. Instead I go to to Babtist church to spend time with my grandmother.
6. I am so afraid of sharks that I can not be in water by myself - this includes the ocean, lakes, ponds, even swimming pools. (yes, I can shower all by myself)
7. After only 2 weeks of dating, Brandon and I discussed going to Vegas and getting hitched - we didn't do it because we didn't think our mothers would ever forgive us if they didn't get to be part of such an important day.
8. I love visiting old places, especially old cemetaries. I like to imagine the different stories that have taken place over time.
9. I am ALWAYS in the mood for a good meal, a fun adventure, or a long nap.
10. I am an only child, however; I have a sister who's sister isn't my sister and another sister with the same name as me.





-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Randomization

10 Random Facts About Me:
1. If I could have dinner with 3 people, living or deceased, I would choose my husband, my mom and my step-dad.
2. I think I make the world's best chicken noodle soup.
3. If I somehow became a millionaire, I would invest wisely and travel the world.
4. I don't like pets that you can't cuddle with.
5. I don't think I would be happy staying at home rather than going to work.
6. I am not as close with my sister as I would like to be.
7. I don't eat four-legged animals.
8. I like to see myself as a little bit of Carrie Bradshaw and a little bit of Ani DiFranco.
9. I am generally a very happy and optimistic person – I love life!
10. I can eat sushi several times a week, and other Asian food for pretty much every other meal.

9 Ways to Win My Heart:
1. Feed me delicious food
2. Make me laugh
3. Be honest and thoughtful
4. Call me just to talk and to make plans
5. Accept me for who I am
6. Have an adventure with me
7. Get along with my friends and family
8. Have goals and motivation
9. See me in your future

8 Things I Carry Everyday:
1. Phone
2. Keys
3. Chapstick
4. Wallet (credit cards, ID, sometimes money)
5. Mints or gum
6. Camera
7. Tissue
8. All of this inside my Purse

7 Things That Annoy Me:
1. Racists
2. Sexists
3. Homophobes
4. Liars
5. Bad smells (bug spray, primer, burning garbage)
6. Pooping dogs on airplanes
7. People assuming they know anything about me

6 States I've visited:
1. California
2. Rhode Island
3. Texas
4. Oregon
5. New Mexico
6. Colorado

5 People I Call Most:
1. My husband
2. My mom
3. My dad
4. Maygan
5. Maggie

4 Things I'm Afraid of:
1. Being afraid
2. Being alone
3. Cancer
4. Feet

3 Things I Do Every day:
1. Socialize
2. Love my husband
3. Try to be a good person

2 Thing I'm trying Not to Do Now:
1. Be anxious
2. Procrastinate

1 Person I Want To See Now:
1. B



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lessons in tact.

My current pet peeve: "When are you and Brandon going to have kids?"

"Are you going to have children?" "When will you have babies?" "I bet your mom can't wait to be a grandma!" "How many kids are you going to have?"

These are not appropriate questions to ask people unless you are very close to them, ie; immediate family, best friends, etc. Basically people who would already know the answers.
Here are a few reasons why this is inappropriate:

1. Having children is a super personal decision and a huge responsibility that is not for everybody.
2. Not everyone can have children. Maybe they are trying and by asking you just rub it in their face that they haven't been able to concieve yet or that they may never be able to. And there all sorts of reasons people can't concieve when they want to - very very personal reasons like infertility or illness. Why don't you ask them about their low sperm count while you're at it! That would be appropriate.
3. Maybe it just isn't the right time yet. Some people choose to wait until they have enough money or have bought a house or who have advanced in their career or any other reason of their choosing. Getting married for example, does not mean people are going to start having babies right away. And they are not required to give you an explanation.
4. Some people don't want to have kids, and they certainly do not want to hear all of the reasons why they should. Trust me, they've heard them. Some people just don't like kids or they just can't see themselves taking on such a huge life long responsibility or they think the world is not a great place for children. Whatever the reason, if they don't want them maybe they shouldn't have them - freedom of choice. When you get this response try to keep the look of disgust to yourself and remember that you asked the question.
5. Finally, it's just really none of your business.

Don't worry, if we decide to have kids you'll find out then.
From now on, when I get these questions, I am just going to say, "Wow, that is really personal." And then I am going to change the subject.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Can you keep it down? Hoodlums!!!

I don't know about you, but when I was little, I thought I was invincible. I would try anything, I had no fear, and life was a great adventure. And then I got older. I became more aware of my surroundings, and realized that I'm not bullet proof and that bad things can happen to me. I really can't remember when I started to fear things, but I do know that it wasn't always like that.
Luckily though, I think this is just a part of the life cycle, something that can be overcome. When I was in Belize I faced every fear I have (except for feet, I'm not letting that one go). I flew in a teeny tiny plane and sailed across rough seas! I swam with sharks and soared 80 feet above the ground! I ate armadillo and tubed though a cave, a dark, dark cave! I really can't even believe I did half of the things I did. I must admit I am pretty proud of myself!
Last night I faced another fear. Leaving my house in the middle of the night to talk to strangers!
The neighbors must have been having a party because the bass was booming well into the evening, and we couldn't sleep. So I paid the neighbors a visit, at one o'clock in the morning, and very politely asked them if they could just turn it down a bit. And they did and they were very nice and I wasn't afraid!
But when I woke up this morning I was afraid again.
I told the neighbors to turn down their music at one am on a Wednesday night because I couldn't sleep. This new life cycle, this new fearless me, this is age. I don't know how it happened, or really even when, but I do know that I have turned into an old lady! An old lady who harasses the neighbors about the noise!!!

I think I'm having a crisis!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I think I'm turning Japanese.......oh no wait, I'm turning 25

With all the craziness of planning a wedding (which is only 22 days away and I am so freakin' excited I can hardly contain myself!) and traveling to Mexico and celebrating and still trying to keep my sanity at work as priority registration creeps up........I almost forgot I was having a birthday, and an important birthday at that! Most of you know how much I love my birthday - I usually celebrate for a week, and make sure that everyone knows March first that my birthday is coming up! I apologize for the late reminder! :)

Anywho.....Like I said this is an important birthday.....I'm turning 25. This birthday is important because I always held 25 as the age of the grown-up. By 25 you are suppossed to be responsible, mature, and the person that you will pretty much be for the rest of your life........an adult! And people will expect this of you! That is a somewhat scary notion....I don't want to grow up - So, I'm putting it off until I'm 30.

The plan - 3 goals to accomplish in the next five years:

1. Visit 3 countries that I have never been to. (Off to a good start, flying to Belize April 2)
2. Buy a house. (It will be difficult to say good bye to the low rent that renting from family provides, but Brandon did promise that I could get a puppy when we have a place of our own!)
3. Obtain Masters degree. (Good thing I work for the University)


25 is going to be an awesome year - it's time to celebrate!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Warning, this is mushy, may cause vomiting, seriously

Today is one year from the day that I will be getting married, becoming Mrs. Brandon Malings, legally binding myself to another human being with all of his own ideas, opinions, beliefs, flaws, and strengths. Until death do us part. Since last August, when I accepted his proposal, I have been congratulated and questioned. Who are we to believe that we can make it through a lifetime together, when so many fail? No one enters marriage thinking that they will get divorced, do they? Both of my parents and Brandon's parents have been married and divorced several times. Who are our role models? Who can show us that "true love" can prevail? And what, really, is true love? Why, when fifty percent of marriages are destined to fail, do we think that this is a good idea? And does saying that we will do better than our parents did make it true? How much commitment does a piece of paper provide?

My grandmother told me, following fifty plus years of marriage, that you will not always love the person you are married to, and there will be difficult times, times when you can't even stand for that person to be near you, but if you are determined to wait it out or better yet, to work it out, you will remember why you fell in love with that person in the first place. She made only two exceptions, "If he beats you or if he cheats on you, get out." Now this is not a realistic theory for all relationships, people grow apart, grow up, convert, etc. But hopefully people discuss their goals, their hopes, their fears, before the wedding, obviously this isn't always the case.

All of this being said, I do want to get married. I do believe that Brandon and I will beat the odds. I believe this because in four years I have had more fun with him then anyone in my lifetime. Because we have common goals. Because our families approve. Because we are able to compromise and let the other one have their way sometimes. Because he knows all of my secrets, and probably the secrets of all of my friends. Because he knows when I'm having a bad day, and when I feel that I'm failing, and when I'm being an asshole. And he knows just what to say, or not to say. Because he will stand by me and stick up for me every step of the way. Because he is my partner and he gives it everything he's got. I can't imagine not waking up next to him. I can't imagine going anywhere without him. And from day one, we have been honest, about who we are, where we come from, what we need and what we will not tolerate. And everyday, we are honest, we change our minds, we grow, we learn, and we fuck up, and we talk about it. We don't spend our time hiding, fighting, lying, screaming, we spend our time trying to have fun, trying to build a life with one another. And every decision I make, I make with him in mind. I want to get married so that everyone can be part of our lives together, so that we can set the example. Most importantly he makes happy, he makes me smile, he cooks with me and goes grocery shopping with me, he is sincere and I have the most fun with him. So maybe it isn't about true love, and compromise, maybe it is about enjoying the very short amount of time we have on this earth. I know that it wont always be easy, but it will be worth it. And I suppose the fun may end, but I don't want to miss a moment of it trying to figure out if we will be together in ten, thirty, sixty years.

Maybe love translates to laughter, maybe your soul mate is the one person who looks at you like you are the most beautiful person in the world, even when you are trying to measure your back fat. Maybe you have to be comfortable making sacrifices and being honest about what it is that is important to you and your life. Maybe it's okay if he likes ultimate fighting, and you prefer Prada, maybe that isn't even relevant. Maybe I am just naive, but that's okay, because my heart is happy and my thoughts are clear and my hand is waiting. And in one year I will say I do, because I want to give marriage one hell of a try.
Life is too short to be unhappy, whether it is because you are alone, or because you're not. Remember what is important and what isn't, and don't let your head silence your heart or visa versa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


RIP Chili Booger Face


WHEN I WAS 13, SHE FOUND ME, THROUGH OUR DOGGY DOOR, LOOKING FOR A MEAL. SHE WAS SO STUBBORN AND CROTCHITY, WE BONDED IMMEDIATLY. WHAT A PURR, AND SHE'D SLEEP UNDER MY SHEETS AND SHREAD MY TOES EVERY TIME I MOVED. I WROTE POETRY ABOUT HER, PEERING INTO THE FISH TANK SET ATOP MY DRESSER. PEOPLE WHO KNEW HER GAVE ME ROSES, FOR HER TO SNACK ON. I THINK SHE LIKED RED THE BEST. SHE WOULD SIT ON MY LAP AT THE KITCHEN TABLE AND WAIT, NOT SO PATIENTLY, FOR ME TO GIVE HER THE MILK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CEREAL BOWL, PAWING AT MY HAND WITH HER NAILS OUT. WE MOVED TOO MANY TIMES TO REMEMBER, SHE HATED THE CAR RIDES, CRYING SO LOUD AND SO DESPERATE THAT IT COULD MAKE YOU WEEP, BUT AS LONG AS MY BED WAS MADE, SHE WAS AT HOME AS SOON AS WE'D ARRIVE. SHE TOLERATED THE OTHER ANIMALS THAT I HAVE SINCE COLLECTED, BUT MADE IT CLEAR THAT SHE RULED THE HOUSE, THE BED, THE FEEDING SCHEDULE. SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVED HER.

No comments: