
My mom and I have recently bought into the locally grown, community sustained agriculture. Basically, we have paid for a share of a farm out in Agua Linda. We're hippies. Each week the farmers bring in about 7 or 8 different crops that we get to pick up and enjoy. It has exposed us to a lot of new veggies and forced us to start eating a little healthier, well, my mom is eating healthier. Anyway, the past two weeks we have been given fava beans. Fava beans are also called tick beans. They are called tick beans because they look like ticks. Eewww! My mom and I have been sceptacle about the fava beans and were not so sure how to prepare them.
"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti." - hannibal lecter.
Last night my mom finally cooked them up, stir fried them with greens and tofu over rice. I want to mention that my mom is an excellent cook, and for the most part a veggie herself, so I am always able to enjoy a nice home cooked meal when I am at her house. But the truth is, is that fava beans are disgusting. I don't know who likes them or why. They are somewhat like lima beans except bland and slimy, and they look like ticks! When I pick up the veggies this week, I will be leaving my fava bean share behind if any of you would like to give them a try.
No comments:
Post a Comment