Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud to be an American (and a winner)

A little less proud of Arizona...


I am ecstatic right now. To be part of such an amazing time and to know (hope) that I had something to do with it. No matter what side of the party line you sit on, I hope that you realize how amazing it is that our country voted a black man into the White House!

I believe the next four years will be really tough for Obama and for America, but there is a lot of work to be done and we need to get started. I understand that no matter who won, they are politicians and not much will change, but I do have great hope that Obama will lead us in the right direction. I am confidant that America has made the right choice and look forward to diplomatic relations, freedom of choice and hopefully an end to the bloodbath we know as Iraq.

If you did not vote for Obama, all I ask is that you give him a chance and don't assume that we are doomed because the person you voted for didn't win. I didn't vote for Bush and quite a few of us survived that debacle. Don't be a sore loser; be patriotic, be active, do something, have faith.

On a much more pessimistic note, I am very disappointed with my fellow Arizonans. I think it is a disgrace to amend our constitution, regardless of the nature. I think it is especially distasteful to waste our time making changes to the constitution about gay marriage. It is more ridiculous than prohibition - alcohol actually kills people. It saddens me that straight Arizonans feel that they have right to make decisions for the gay community; keeping in mind that gay marriage is already illegal. It is really easy to take away rights from a group you don't belong to. It is surprising to me that history has not shed any light on to the outcome of such nonsense. My heart aches.

And at the same time my heart rejoices that in just a few short months President Barack Obama will take his rightful place and will lead our great nation in to what I hope will be a glorious future.

God Bless America! (and all the haters too)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree! For the first time ever...I feel actual, deep-hearted pride in my country. boo for the passing of prop 102...I guess we can only make one stand per election???

Anonymous said...

"It is really easy to take away rights from a group you don't belong to."
This is SO true!! I am definitely with you on that- why do people care so much about something that doesn't affect them AT ALL? it's annoying.