I was planning to wait until we knew what is wrong with Darla before posting an update, but since that could be almost two weeks from now I'll go ahead and give you the dirty details up to this point.
As I wrote before Darla was feeling a bit under the weather and had an ER trip. A few days later she was back to herself and all of the blood tests came back negative. Just a little flu...or so we thought. Just a few days after she had made a full recovery we noticed an egg shaped lump on her right back leg, at about the ankle. As I have mentioned several times, Darla has leg problems - her left rear knee pops in and out of place daily, and her right leg, often referred to as the good leg, has always been a bit lame. Now she won't even put it down.
We were hoping that it was an injury and that maybe the swelling would go down. But it didn't. Off to the vet we go. X rays - not an injury, something is definitely in the bone, but what? Our vet gives a few possibilities; Valley Fever, back on the table - apparently the blood test she had done for this isn't super reliable, and she has been sick, so the vet thinks this is likely. The second option is some sort of childhood doggy disease where her immune system is attacking a growth spurt. If this is the case its pain meds and steroids, and waiting for her to grow out of it. The third option is....well, I'm not ready to go their just yet. And the vet said because she is so young that it is highly unlikely.
Next step is having Darla meet with the surgeon again, but he doesn't have an opening for two weeks. For now she's on pain pills and my vet is sneaking the x rays to the radiologist to see if he can tell us something any sooner (sooner will be Wednesday). So we just don't know - I am anxious to find out just what is wrong so that we can start fixing it. Poor Darfur is just a puppy - she is happy and energetic and BORED. I will let you know when I know....Thanks for your thoughts and prayers in the meantime.
No comments:
Post a Comment