But tonight is not about me, it’s about you, the graduating class of 2009. I, along with your teachers, your family, your friends, am very proud of your success here tonight! Graduating from High School is one of the best gifts that you will ever give yourself. As a high school graduate you have opened up immense opportunities for yourself. Your challenge now is to take advantage of those opportunities. Do not be afraid to try something and to fail at it; this will only make you stronger for the next adventure and remember that no one gets it right all of the time. Do not hesitate to rely on your friends and family and even the staff of Edge to help you through difficult times and to help you celebrate your successes; they have proven themselves thus far. It is not alone that we face this world, so take the help that is offered to you, and remember to give thanks where it is due.
I know that you are capable of amazing things, as you are sitting here tonight; the world is at your feet waiting. Whether you decide to continue from here on to college, into the workforce, to raise a family, or whichever other path you may choose for yourself, give it all of you got and have a good time. Remember that completing high school, while a huge accomplishment within itself, is only the beginning of a life full of opportunity and adventure!
I wanted to leave you with something very meaningful, some words of wisdom from someone more eloquent than myself, so I have two quotes that I hope you will enjoy:
This first one is by one of my favorite writers of all time, Dr. Seuss:
“You have brains in your head.You have feet in your shoes.You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.You're on your own.And you know what you know.You are the guy who'll decide where to go.”
And, finally, from another graduation speech by painter Gary Bolding;
“Your families are extremely proud of you. You can't imagine the sense of relief they are experiencing. This would be a most opportune time to ask for money.”
Thank you and congratulations!!!!!"
3 comments:
I TOTALLY spaced and forgot to ask you how it went when I talked to you today! The pic is cute....so how was it?
Great Speech! Love the quotes!
You wrote such a great speech. I am sure you wowed everyone!
Post a Comment