Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chest Pains

For the past few weeks I have been having chest pains. My first thought of course was to check out WebMD, but I know from previous experience that all that would do is tell me to go straight to the hospital, which I would, with a panic attack. So I avoided that, instead I made an appointment with my doctor. My doctor tells me its probably nothing to worry about, maybe mitral valve prolapse. He sends me off for a chest x-ray and an echo cardiogram (which was pretty cool I have to say, seeing your own heart beat really makes you feel alive). At this point I feel a little worried only because I feel like the stuff in your chest is pretty important to living and that it must not be good to be having pain in that general area. I talk to my family and I found I out that I have quite the history of mitral valve prolapse in my family and that it can be associated with anxiety...hmmmm.

I had my follow up today. No mitral valve prolapse; in fact nothing. I am perfectly healthy, nothing is wrong with my heart or my lungs. Fantastic news! What I do have is anxiety; surprise, surprise. It turns out that you can have physical symptoms of anxiety without actually feeling anxious. The cure: a message and maybe some yoga, and then of course the old standard; eat better and get more exercise.

So, I'm fine and I'm already feeling better, nice.

No comments: