Sunday, December 6, 2009

Darla Goes Under

Darla's health issues are often the topic of my blog entries and today's is no exception, although I hope that this will be one of the last. A few weeks ago Darla went in to have knee surgery, to correct the luxating patella - her knee that popped out and no longer wanted to go back in. It was a difficult decision to make because the surgery is very expensive and she didn't seem all that bothered by not being able to use one of her hind legs. But, ultimately, we decided that it was the best choice for Darla to have a long, healthy, and happy life.

We dropped Miss Darla off for surgery on a Tuesday morning and weren't able to pick her up until the following day. I did receive a call from the surgeon to let me know that Darla had done really well, but that they did find that her tibia is deformed, and that can keep her leg from ever getting to 100%- the surgeon tells me she will still have a good result. When we go to pick her up we are waiting for the tech to bring her out and after about 15 minutes I start to get a little worried, "Where is my dog?" The tech comes out sans Darla and asks for my assistance in retrieving her. I am led back to the intensive care unit to find Darla lying down and crying. It looked as though she had lost all will to go on. I call to her, barely a response. I sit next to her and begin to pet her and talk to her. Almost instantly she realizes that I am there and she stands up and begins leading me out of the hospital. I felt so guilty about leaving her, especially after her pound ordeal. Also, it is clear that she is in a lot of pain and I spend the next 3 days listening to her cry...so pathetic.

Scarla

The Cone of Shame

Darla is in traction for 8 weeks. She wears the cone for the first two, until her stitches come out. She is walked on the leash to go to the bathroom and all activity is limited. She is not a fan of the cone, or of being locked in the bathroom (she destroyed the bathroom door), or of being confined in anyway. Keeping her calm is not easy nor fun for me.

Two more weeks until we get a recheck from the surgeon. At that time they will also take x-rays to see how her Valley Fever is doing in the other leg. If all is well at that time we will start physical therapy...
Recovering nicely

So, the updates will continue for now and hopefully, one day, Darla will get to live a normal, healthy puppy life!

No comments: