Monday, February 14, 2011

Cupcake has arrived!

A few years ago, through the magic of MySpace, I was reunited with my best friend from fourth grade.  So much time had passed and clearly so much had changed in both of our lives, but it was like we had been friends all along - we picked up right where we had left off.  Our lives had taken very different paths, but we still seemed to have a lot in common; sense of humor, interest in education, obsession with food...

Just about 9 months ago this dear friend found out that she was pregnant with her fourth child.  She asked me if I would like to be at the birth to which I said yes - I was so excited to share in this part of her life.  So at 1:30am this past Friday I got the call.

Needless, to say I was not quite as excited in my sleepy haze, but managed to get myself out of bed, showered and to the hospital in time.  She was doing so well and even in labor was giving me a run down of the equipment and what to expect - she made sure that I got the full birth lesson.  In just a few short hours it was go time and with little effort on my part (she was such a champ and made it look easy - I just tried to stay out of the way) Kaylee Anne made her entrance into this world.


It was the most amazing thing I have ever been witness to.  This perfect, tiny baby that we had been talking about for 9 months was here.  She is beautiful and loud and I am in love.  I don't know if watching the birth of a child does something hormonally - but I had this overwhelming urge to cuddle, spoil, and protect that I have never felt before.

I feel so blessed that I have this friend and that I get to be in her life and in baby Kaylee's life.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

wow! I'm proud of you. I couldn't even watch my own child's birth.