Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Darla and the Dermatologist

It's tax time! What will you be doing with your tax return this year? Maybe taking a vacation? Splurging on a new pair of shoes or a handbag? Taking on a small home renovation project? I love all of those ideas. My plan was to save towards our summer vacation...or buy a new vacuum. I couldn't really decide.

Luckily for me I have Darla. She made the decision very easy for me. I'll be spending that extra money on allergy testing and immunotherapy! Jealous?

Seriously though, Darla has it pretty bad - the allergies that is, obviously her life on the whole is pretty blessed. But most of the time she is an itchy girl - I know I've posted about that more than once. The dermatologist doesn't think it's a food allergy, which is a great start, but we know that antihistamines only provide the Darbaby with so much relief and the steroids we tried last year are out of the question. Though they had really helped, Darla lost a lot of weight - like a scary amount of weight, so that's not a very reasonable side effect.

In the meantime we are trying a new, stronger antihistamine, and an antibiotic for the secondary infection caused by scratching and licking, and a prescription shampoo and conditioner...and then on to the big test (just like what they do for people....ouch!) and allergy shots.

One day Darla will get to be a normal dog....

1 comment:

Xochi Mama said...

I love this post. It's so great that we can spend our tax returns on things like pet allergies and new furnaces. Lucky!