Monday, July 27, 2009

No hablo Espanol; hilarity ensues

Preface: This is a food related blog, kinda...and a Spanish lesson, kinda.

So, there are a few specific words that I always seem to get confused in Spanish, especially when I am trying to order food...which could have horrific (hilarious) consequences.

For example: Sometimes I would like extra "avocado"...not a "lawyer"...maybe I need both.
aguacate: avocado
abogado: lawyer

Example number two: When ordering a vegetarian burrito it is important to order "squash," not "head."
cabeza: head
calabasas: squash

Alright, that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there are many more...


One more: No "lice" and "beans" for me please.
piojos: head lice
frijoles: beans

2 comments:

Xochi Mama said...

I could see how ordering in another language could have dire consequences. One time, my mother wanted to say she was embarrassed but told everyone she was pregnant instead. Everyone got really excited and then she had to clarify.

Debra Z said...

how about when you order a cerveza, and ask for a glass - un beso porfavor, and the waiter leans down and kisses you - because you should have ordered un vaso