As you know I have been striving for a vegetarian lifestyle for a little over a year now, and its no surprise to anyone that I have had a few slips. A piece of fish at sushi, a nibble of Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. After all, I'm only human, and I really love food. I have made a lot of progress. I have learned to love tofu, and how to cook with it. I have created a lot of wonderful meatless recreations of of food that should have meat in it. I learned that you do in fact need to be careful about your dietary needs and take a whole mouthful of vitamins and supplements daily. And even though I have had more than my share of cravings, I have, for the most part, stayed away from meat.
Until New Years Eve. I'd like to blame it on the champagne, but I can't. It was a moment of pure weakness.
Linda's Menudo.
It was one of the things that I knew would be hard. I even made a pretty good veggie version, but it just wasn't enough. My will power crashed. And now, I am not sure if I want to return to being a vegetarian.
I mean I do. I think that eating animals is morally wrong and gross, and I think it leads to a lot of health problems, and, did I mention, I think its gross. I like not cooking meat and I like trying new things because meat is not an option. And, let's be honest, not eating meat is the only way to get me to eat a vegetable. But not eating meat is hard. Its hard to deny home cooked meals. Its hard to check every label and to ask about every meal that might have fish sauce or chicken broth in it. But, just because something is hard to do, shouldn't be an excuse. I just don't know what I am going to do yet.
What I can tell you is that I ate meat, it was delicious, and that whole thing about vegetarians getting sick if they eat meat...turns out it was a myth (for me anyway). I think that's one of those things you have to tell yourself so you don't slip up.
So, this will be my personal struggle of 2009. I will let you know what I decide to do, and either way know this: There will be lots of amazing food in my future.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh....I see rehab in your future! Do they make a rehab place for vegetarians?
Post a Comment